Aluminum is my FAVORITE metal to weld with TIG. Although I love it now at first it was such a frustrating process. Here are 6 quick tips that helped me better my aluminum welding. Comment below any tips that helped your Aluminum Welding.
This post contains affiliate links and by using them I earn a commission if you choose to purchase.
Aluminum Melting Point: 1,221 Fahrenheit
Aluminum Oxide Layer Melting Point: 3,700 Fahrenheit
Aluminum can be a tricky metal to weld when first getting started so read this quick guide to get the need to know tips before striking that ARC!
-Gas should per pure Argon or Argon/Helium Mix (Helium allows for a Hotter Arc)
Check my post on AC/DC welding: https://anonymousfab.com/blogs/learn-tig-welding/when-to-weld-ac-or-dc
- Depending on your amperage choose a proper tungsten size (More Amps = Thicker Tungsten)
-Sharpen Tungsten to a point
- Strike an arc on a piece of copper to help get a nice ball on the tip of your tungsten
- Gas lens with a number 6 or 7 cup (Flow rate 25-30 cfh)
Quick Aluminum Welding Tips
- Clean, Clean, Clean
- Copper Wire Brush
- Keep torch angle 90 degrees
- Feed filler rod fast (In and out)
- Watch the PUDDLE not your Tungsten